Posted 2 July 2021
At Leica Biosystems our promise is to enable clinicians to efficiently provide patients a highly confident diagnosis within 24 hours of biopsy. We offer the most comprehensive portfolio that spans the entire cancer diagnosis workflow from biopsy to diagnosis. Our experts are committed to delivering Improved Quality, Integrated Solutions, and Optimised Efficiencies leading to breakthrough advances in diagnostic confidence and turnaround time.
Every day we embrace new ways of thinking and work closely together to deliver innovative technologies, to ensure we remain at the forefront of our industry. And we believe that our people around the world play the most important role in helping our customers find success.
The Senior Systems Engineer will be pivotal in the ongoing evolution of Leica Biosystem’s on-market medical devices, which provide rapid high-quality diagnostics for cancer patients. The devices consist of complex interactions between electronic, mechanical, fluidics and software systems. In this role you will play a leading role in introducing changes and enhancements to our medical devices. You will interact daily with project managers, product managers, regulatory affairs, software architects, electronics engineers, mechanical engineers, production engineers and more.
Your key responsibilities will include, and not limited to:
- Work with the engineering team to define, execute the engineering lifecycle to plan, develop, test, and release improvements as well as product iterations.
- Interface with internal customers, including Engineers and Scientists, at all stages of the development lifecycle to, for example, develop requirements, design solutions, track engineering progress, and achieve successful integration and verification/validation.
- Perform system engineering planning, system definition, and high-level system design.
- Contribute to the technical roadmap in support of upcoming features/capabilities.
- Define systems and their interfaces and allocate responsibilities to systems.
- Drive problem solving initiatives using structured analysis to drive to root cause followed by implementation of sustainable countermeasures.
- Lead the product safety and security risk management processes for projects.
- Ensure that applicable regulatory requirements are met by designs.
- Delivery of systems engineering inputs to programme gates and milestones.
- Lead impact assessments for design changes.
- Develop and update product documentation.
- Work within the engineering team to support production and manufacturing as well as field personnel.
- Communicate effectively with diverse set of peers, customers, and vendors.
- Utilise LEAN methodologies to drive continuous improvement.
- Actively drive the adoption of systems engineering principles and practices into projects.
To be successful in this opportunity, a prior experience in the following criteria would be required:
- Graduate or post-graduate qualification in Engineering or similar
- Minimum 8 years’ engineering experience with at least 5 years’ systems engineering experience.
- Demonstrated professional integrity, good level of technical knowledge and experience, objectivity, acceptance of responsibility, maturity of judgement and common sense.
- Strong communicator with stakeholder management skills enabling you to effectively collaborate, contribute and persuade at all levels and amongst both technical and business stakeholders.
- The ability to convey complex, technical ideas to a non-technical audience by presenting a big picture view, yet explaining how business needs can be addressed with technology.
- Confident in leading technical discussions with engineers, architects, software developers and other technical stakeholders.
- Highly organized with an ability to prioritise quickly and focus on the critical few with drive to action.
- Able to address difficulties or resistance among team members to enable them to overcome roadblocks.
- Willing to provide input to a diverse range of activities, even those that may not directly relate to Systems Engineering.
- Demonstrable experience throughout the full engineering lifecycle.
- Able to take the ‘system view’ of the program and interact with subject experts.
Any of the following experience will be highly regarded:
- Involvement in large scale system development as a Systems Engineer.
- Being part of a multidisciplinary team to complete a development task.
- Formal training in systems engineering (e.g. requirements analysis, functional analysis/allocation, design synthesis, integration and verification)
- Expertise in hardware systems involving electronics, mechanics, and fluidics and/or software systems development and interfacing.
- Expertise in systems and software integration (supporting test campaigns).
- Previous experience in a regulated development environment (e.g. medical devices, aerospace, defence).