Posted 12 July 2021
Exopharm is an ASX listed biotechnology company (ASX: EX1) with a market capitalisation of around $100m and a team of over 40 people. Most employees are based in our campus in the Alfred medical precinct in Commercial Road Melbourne (Australia). The company has been growing strongly and has recently completed a well-supported $12m fund raising.
We have an exciting opportunity available for an experienced supply coordinator to join our high-performing team.
The Scientific Procurement Specialist enables Exopharm’s scientific advancements by assuring on-site availability of critical and difficult to procure material, equipment and services to support our scientists.
Purpose of the position:
- The overall purpose of this position is to assure the availability of critical material, equipment or services in a time-sensitive and highly responsive manner,
- To ensure the optimum acquisition (ordering, chasing, transport and clearance) of goods and services between the points of origin and our premises,
- To build relationships with our key staff and understand their needs and difficulties, and
- Establish relationships with vendors and distributors to ensure that Exopharm is towards the front of the queue.
Success in this role is defined by:
Materials, equipment and services are ready for the scientists:
- at the right time
- at the right specification, quality & quantity
- at the right price
Key role requirements & skills:
- General biological scientific background with exposure to experimental reagents, analytical equipment, disposables, and biological processes and experiments
- A ‘customer first’ attitude and response
- A ‘can do’ attitude and willingness to think and work outside the ‘square’
- Clear time management capabilities and ability to prioritise
- Well-developed negotiation skills and a persuasive personality – influences and achieves outcomes
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills – understanding needs and setting expectations internally and externally
- Comfortable picking up the phone or face-to-face meetings to track down answers and achieve outcomes in a professional manner
- Adept contract management skills – commercially awareness and astute
- Results focussed – achieving or surpassing targets (delight the stakeholder)
- Analytical skills – make informed decisions
- Organisational and data management skills – ability to track and maintain a volume of tasks and databases
Relevant Experience & Selection Criteria:
Please address the following expectations on the role in your application. Applications that don’t address ALL required skills and experience in cover letter will not be considered.
Day-to-day execution of ordering processes in a scientific research setting: getting scientists what they need, when they need it
- Know your stakeholder and their unique requirements.
- Understand scientific requirements (incl potential importation or OHS issues) and align expectations between internal and external stakeholders.
- Source requested scientific consumables, chemicals and reagents, devices and equipment, or alternatives.
- Build and manage vendor relationships, working closely with local and overseas suppliers and distributors.
- Monitor goods in transit and ensure their timely delivery.
- Manage import operations and preparing/requesting customs and import documentation.
Beneficial – Experience in regulated environment
- Development of material specifications together with the scientists.
- Review suppliers and established approved supplier lists.
Review of processes, products and services
- Investigate, analyse, design and simplify existing processes to optimise efficiency for daily activities and drive improvements where possible.
- Identify high risk, high value items and plan for their availability.
- Perform financial analysis to support cost savings initiatives (cost/spend analyses).
- Formalise the supply of all goods and services.
- Ongoing contract management.
- Monitor supplier performance; identify and qualify new suppliers.
- Understand the market place and develop contingency plans.
In charge of shipping materials or equipment to clients and partners
- Coordinating couriers, as required.
- Preparing shipping documentation, permits, tariffs codes.
Beneficial – Experience in regulated environment
- Completing batch records for packing products, as required.
In charge of on-site inventory
- Ensure short term supply is maintained.
- Setting, maintaining, and reviewing the optimal inventory levels of required consumables.
- Ensure all activities to maintain supply are conducted in a timely and sufficient manner.
Beneficial – Experience in regulated environment:
- Coordinate testing of critical materials, if required.
- Maintenance of efficient stock levels and stock rotation, including stocktakes.
- Assisting with management, audit and control of critical material suppliers.
Please send applications or direct enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org