Date Posted – 24 May 2021
This role will report directly to the CEO, work as part of Exopharm’s executive team and support the Board.
The CCO will have broad responsibilities – including building and delivering governance, financial, human resource and legal capacity and functions including risk and compliance. The CCO will also help to build the profile of Exopharm, particularly in financial markets.
Exopharm is an ASX-listed biotechnology company (ASX: EX1) with a market capitalisation of ~$150m and a team of 42 people based in the Alfred medical precinct in Commercial Road, Melbourne. This is a high-growth company with a strong pipeline of innovative technology and products.
The role will start with a mix of in-house functions and outsourced services. In-house responsibilities include investor relations, finance planning and budgeting, performance measurement, ASX compliance, human resource management, risk management, IP registrations and purchasing. The role will also manage outsourced functions including banking, accounting and finance function, investor relations, legal advice, the company secretariate and IP management.
1. Preparation of financial plans, budgets, cashflows, performance monitoring & management
2. Building investor relations and the profile of the company
3. Engaging other capital markets (e.g. USA via OTCQX or NASDAQ) and industry investors
4. Supporting commercial negotiations and deal-making
5. Tax and tax management, including R&D rebate claims
• Legal, corporate governance and services
1. Human resources and employee relations
2. IP registrations, IP portfolio management and IP management
3. Agreements, standard legal forms and agreement register
4. Mandates, broker agreements, placements
5. Due diligence including for deals and investors
6. Input to strategy and forward-planning
7. Board operations and communications
• Compliance and risk
1. OH&S and risk reviews
2. Audit programs
3. ASX compliance, announcements and notices
Exopharm is looking for:
• A strong leader who
o provides clear, decisive direction and guidance to the team to ensure milestones and agreed KPIs are met, while minimising distractions
o sees the big picture but is comfortable with detail and can connect the dots for others
o has an outcomes-orientation and drives outcomes across their team
o can harness skills and strengths in the team, create a set of common goals and achieve them
o develops staff capably and sets a strong example of high quantity
o has initiative – is someone who makes things happen themselves, knows what is happening and why
o is able to multi-task – can lead the team to deliver parallel work streams
o keeps the CEO, Board and other group managers informed and engaged.
• A process expert who
o understands listed company operations and requirements including financial, accounting, governance and compliance
o generates important insights and creates better ways of doing things
o provides clear and concise communications and can analyse activities and processes to improve accuracy, speed and efficiency
o is willing to take considered risks and experiment to reach outcomes
o communicates clearly and effectively up, down and sideways
o is preferably familiar with the biotechnology sector and industry.
The right person may have a background such as
• Combined commerce/law tertiary undergraduate qualification(s)
• CPA or CA post graduate certification, or MBA
• A substantive employment track-record at one of the top consulting firms with both legal and finance/accounting experience
• Experience in a local or overseas biotechnology company and/or an ASX listed company in a senior role
Exopharm is open to a mid-career professional who can grow quickly, and to negotiating flexible work arrangements. Please send applications or direct enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org